Turf Scouting Report, October 22nd

Oct. 22, 2010 Scouting Report
Rain in the Forecast: October remains Dry as a Bone, My name is Derek, Bye bye Rust et al., Tim's says Toccoa tall fescue, and Nick talks Go Daddy? 

Chicago/Northern Illinois Update: Derek Settle -
Weathermen. Ok, I have to admit it. I have a deep appreciation and admiration for weathermen. As I child in Kansas, my first weatherman was my Grandmother. I remember reading her handwritten letters-excellent penmanship. Her first paragraph always summed the Iowa weather with attention to rainfall. You see my Grandparents were farmers. Today I read similar prose, only the year is 2010 and not 1976. The mail isn't USPS it's email. The president's first name isn't Jimmy it's Barack. My name isn't Durkee it's Derek. It went: "All our models this morning have come around to a solution where one wave of showers and thunderstorms on a strong low level jet will hit tomorrow morning and through about 1 PM, then we stay cloudy with spits of rain the rest of the day. Of course, that's model output, not data, and this system is just moving slowly... So, I added thunderstorms to the forecast tomorrow, based on decent moisture, and a stronger than expected low level jet stream causing strong lift for the storms to develop in. The warm front wings through and we stay damp through the weekend. It no longer appears the cold front with this system will make it through, so Monday's temperatures..."G. Sebenste, N. IL.Univ. 

Although last week I said we cannot complain too much. It turns out we are now complaining. Rain - the lack thereof. Growing plants (turf here) is trouble especially if Mother Nature is not at your side. For season 2011, I am already dreaming she will be - at our side. Like Grandmother. 

Click here to view the complete Oct. 22, 2010 Scouting Report. 

Have and wonderful and WET weekend. 

Derek Settle, PhD 
Director of Turfgrass Program 
Chicago District Golf Association 
11855 Archer Ave 
Lemont, IL 60439 
P 630.685.2307 
F 630.257.2088 
W cdga.org 
E dsettle@cdga.org
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment