Turf Scouting Report, March 25th

March 25, 2011 Scouting Report
Backwards temperature-wise: All Is Swell, Few Issues, Waiting for Poa Seedheads, Forsythia Flowers in Central IL, and Tim says http://gddtracker.net 

Chicago/Northern Illinois Update: Derek Settle -

Desi says it's Spring. In the landscape turf is about the first to respond with green. Next up, we look for the color yellow. Daffodils along with forsethyia lead the way, not to mention dandelions. Soon thereafter it's off to the races. Star magnolia is one of my favorite early blooming woody ornamental favorites (Mangnolia stellata for the connoisseur). I even saw my first earthworm this week on Sunshine Course. Spring-friendly, I named him Charlie as he ventured near a small patch in bentgrass that had caught my attention on Sunshine Course. It is still striking, following winter 2010-11 plant health looks terrific. I'm now saying, "Round 1 goes to us!" Besides the visual, sounds of spring were also with me this week. Redwing blackbirds barked "my territory" in a nearby wetland as they rode moving reedgrass seedheads. 

If you like the outdoors, everyone I know does, it is a nice time. We finally get to see how plant material made it through the winter. I tell you, from my office (outdoors), it looks pretty good. 

Click here to view the complete March 25, 2011 Scouting Report. 

Stay warm this weekend as we seem to be reentering winter, briefly I hope. 

Derek Settle, PhD 
Director of Turfgrass Program 
Chicago District Golf Association 
11855 Archer Ave 
Lemont, IL 60439
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment